Linnware

Women are historically closely associated with pottery in Southern Africa and one of South Africa’s first production potteries, The Ceramic Studio, was the work of a remarkable group of women. They produced painted tiles, monumental ceramic sculptures, decorative vases and tableware at their Olifantsfontein studio situated between Pretoria and Johannesburg on premises that belonged to Sir Thomas Cullinan. The Ceramic Studio was founded in 1925 by former students of the Durban School of Art, Gladys Short and Marjorie Johnstone, who were later joined by Joan Methley, Audrey Frank and others. In 1942, Cullinan bought the pottery and the name was changed to Linnware. Linnware ceramics were produced until about 1962 and a selection of their work was included in the exhibition.

Filter

Showing all 17 results