Royal Dux was originally known as the Duxer Porzellanmanufaktur or Dux Porcelain Manufactory, and was established in 1860 by Eduard Eichler in Czechoslovakia when it was known as Bohemia. By the turn of the century, the firm specialized in porcelain statues and busts of Art Nouveau-style maidens, large porcelain figures, and ornate vases with three-dimensional sculptured figures embracing the surface. By 1937, the company had over 12,000 molds for porcelain. Typically, scenes of scantily clad, enchanting women would be cavorting by a pond surrounded by leaves, foliage and trees. The most successful development phase of Royal Dux was the Art Nouveau era when the ceramic modeler Alois Hampel worked for the company. Some of the original 19th century molds which were established at that time are in production to this day. The diverse range of Dux Art Deco and modernist figurines are still being admired and collected.